Saturday, November 3, 2012

Springdale Cemetery

Earlier this year I received an email from FamilySearch Indexing announcing that they had partnered with a new site which published cemetery pictures, Billion Graves.

I had just started to update the work I did between 2007 and 2009 for The Miami County Genweb and had hoped I could just send them my pictures but that was not quite the case.
Pictures for their site had to be taken with a smart phone, using their free app.
I was intrigued with the concept because it put a GPS tag on each grave and I could not wait to try it.

That was back in May. Since then I have visited 22 cemeteries in Miami and Wabash Counties and uploaded 29,664 images to their site.  It made sense I should record my experience as I visit and photograph these cemeteries.  Not sure I'll back track though I might.  I already posted two articles on cemeteries I photographed after deciding to do this blog.  Thus my 3rd article is actually the very first one I started.

Last July Bruce called me from a car dealership to tell me I needed to meet him there to sign papers as he had just bought a new Dodge Ram truck and my name was on it...  I wasn't too delighted but circumstances were such that I knew he was about to do just this... just didn't think it would be that soon.

After signing the papers I decided to take backroads home and instead of turning right out of Schwartz dealership, I turned left on 218.  I had not driven 500 feet when I saw a cemetery...  not a huge one but big enough...  I immediately decided to stop to take a look and started taking pictures.

Springdale Cemetery stretches on both sides of 218.  The heat was so intense that I was only able to photograph the middle portion on the north side of the road before my phone got so hot I could not hold it without burning my fingers.
So I determined to return later and finish.  I checked the south side and noticed the graves there were older than those on the north side.  I also noticed that the way the stones faced is determined by where they are along the inside roads.  This, I noticed is true for many other cemeteries, like Mount Hope for example.
The stones face the roads up to the middle of the section.  This makes it a bit more difficult to pick a good time to take pictures as no matter when you go you will find the sunlight interfering, while at the same time, enhancing the stones, depending on whether they face East or West.



Springdale Cemetery also sits across from Grissom Air Reserve Base but I have only once had the chance to see airplanes practicing their landing and take off.


Anyway, the weather is turning and so I took advantage of this gorgeous day to go finish Springdale.  I was in the middle of photographing the far West section on the south side of the road when the planes began to appear.  They were so low in the sky it looked like they could land in the cemetery...

As I mentioned earlier, the older graves are found on the south side of the road and some are hard to decipher but altogether this cemetery is in pretty good shape.

Some stones must have been replaced like the ones for the family of John W Haggerty.
According to the History of Miami County(1), John W Haggerty was "a highly esteemed pioneer of Miami County, Indiana, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, February 15, 1824. His parents, David and Sarah (Larimer) Haggerty, were both natives of Pennsylvania. When John was four years old his father died leaving a widow and six children. Until twenty-two years of age Mr. Haggerty’s earnings went toward the support of his mother. He then purchased forty acres of land in Elkhart County, but soon left there and bought a tract of land in Pipe Creek Township. He again sold out and settled in Deer Creek Township. His marriage with Miss Sarah C. McCreary was solemnized in 1851. The result of this union was one child, named George A. Mrs. Haggerty died in 1854. Mr. Haggerty’s second choice was Miss Ellen Hann, daughter of Benjamin and Mary A. Hann, citizens of Pipe Creek Township. To their union seven children have been born: Carey, Annetty, Emma J., Alonzo E., Idella M., Melvin E. and an infant that died unnamed. Mr. and Mrs. Haggerty have lived to see the county develop from an almost unbroken forest into one of the most fertile and populous regions of northern Indiana. He is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church."
But not all are this way...


I tried to learn more about this Pipe Creek Baptist church but didn't find what I wanted.
I did, however, find a very interesting site talking about the different churches of Miami County (IN)

The photos I uploaded to Billion Graves are not all indexed yet.  If you can't find someone through a search, see if you can look at all the images one by one instead.
What I enjoy most about this site is the fact that you can see where in the cemetery a grave is located.  It seems to 'connect' better...
Enjoy!

(1)From History of Miami County, Published in 1887 by Brant and Fuller in Chicago - Deer Creek Township

 

1 comment: