Thursday, May 2, 2013

MOYER Cemetery

Later in the day on April 26th I recalled that the MOYER cemetery was an 'afternoon' cemetery ie one with stones mostly facing West.  and I was antsy to go back out.
I hate wasting nice weather sitting in front of a computer screen.
Not that there is not plenty to do there but I must have had Spring fever.
The MOYER cemetery is in Roann, not too far from the Stockdale Mill so again I took my other cameras hoping to take some shots of Indiana Springtime scenery.

The Miami County Genweb page refers us back to Find-a-Grave for a list of people buried in this cemetery.
This cemetery is in very sad shape.
A quick search online for the "Old Niconza Cemetery Miami county Indiana" helped me discover a really nice site: Laurie's Indiana cemeteries covering Allen, Kosciusko, Miami, Switzerland, Wabash and Whitley counties. One of the two cemeteries listed for Miami county is the Old Niconza cemetery. The site includes high quality photos as well and an option to purchase a printed copy for a small fee.  Might well be worth using to compare against some my poorer pictures when indexing them or going over the work of another indexer...
Bad thing, they don't have a better index either...
Once again I started from the front walking in rows from the South to the North.  Buried stones, completely erode stones... It's not that the cemetery is really in bad shape... some of the stones are...
There is a small enclosure within the cemetery with graves inside. They have been knocked down for some time and it is hard to read them.  I hope the pictures help.  Sometimes they do.

I was glad the North Western side of the fence was flattened out  because there was a whole row of stones facing the fence, just a few inches away from it, with a tangle of briars all around them.  I had to climb over the fence to be able to take a picture and I am still not sure how they will be decipherable...

Nobody I knew in this cemetery but the last name is the same as Bruce's cousin Angie's mom.  I wonder how she fits into that family line.  I'll have to ask her some time.
So, it didn't take very long to take this little cemetery...  and to tell you the truth I didn't longer very long after a deer tick fell on my shirt...  Talk about losing it!  I can't stand those suckers!
It gives me the willies just thinking about it!

I shook it off me, jumped back in the car and drove off as fast as I could, stopping off on the Stockdale Mill Bridge for a quick picture... 

The water was very muddy still from all the rain we have had these past few weeks.
It's usually much more scenic, even under less sunshiny skies.  

Same with the Roann Covered Bridge.  There were kids playing under it...  The bridge could use a good coat of paint...  










On my way home I noticed a small cemetery on the side of the road... the East side: the GAMBLE cemetery (Wabash County).  My battery was still sufficiently charged that I should be able to tackle it so I did.  Why not?  It seemed such a waste of gas doing otherwise.

The Gamble cemetery is a well kept, quaint little place, not very many graves, East at the intersection of county roads 400N and 700W. It sits upon a high knoll overlooking a creek.  A listing for this cemetery can also be found on Wabash Co IN Genweb page

More later...

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for my 3 grandmother
    She was married to a Moyer she might have died giving birth in 1860 and her first name is Nellie Ferrell.

    ReplyDelete